View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default It finally all came together.

I'm a total newbie fly fisherman but I've been really into the sport.

I've been working on my casting, my bug entomology, my fly pattern knowledge, etc... reading a lot, watching videos, just trying to improve.

Today if finally all came together and I hooked a trout on pure skill rather than my usual dumb luck.

I was on the South Platte river in Colorado. I turned some rocks over and saw the usual stoneflies, and caddis. But I noticed a small pool chock full of midges. And for the first time since I've started fly fishing I knew exactly what fly to tie on.

Shortly thereafter I spotted, on the river, the perfect combination of current, riffle, shade, and a nice rocky cover.

I knew I'd have to sink the nymph so I added a lead weight to the line. I set my Thingamabobber to the depth I thought the water would be. I snuck up to the hole and landed the nymph gently upstream of the rock where I figured the fish would be hanging out. After no more than three casts I had a nice 7 inch trout hooked!! I played the line and wore the trout down. I was able to scoop it into my net very gently, remove the hook and let it regain it's strength enough to swim away.

I was just like those fly fishing videos!

It was awesome! I went on to catch one more 4 incher today as well. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this... maybe.