View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tips For Buying Used Rods;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Ard,
Nice post. I recently purchased a 6 wt on my favorite auction site and after waiting in anticipation, was greatly disappointed when I opened the rod tube - one of the male ferrule tips was loose and each of the guides had a notch worn in them.

Thankfully, the seller refunded my money after I had to ship it back on my dime. It appears that not all the listing 'descriptions' are entirely accurate these days.
Darn that Sharkskin....I got a Lamson reel that conveniently didn't show the line guard in the picture. Really good price, but there was a 1/16" deep groove from stripping sharkskin through it. After seeing some of these rods and reels that get torn up by that stuff, why would anyone use it? Anyone got an explanation for this? I would expect them to discontinue it once this started to happen.

It never hurts to ask for more pictures, and if the description isn't crystal clear ask for every little detail; if they are honest, and serious about selling their gear they will gladly answer your list of questions about ferulles, guides, corks, rod tubes etc.