View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help with shooting line

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeutman View Post
Come to think about it I think I can hear the line catching when I try to shoot it. This a very old outfit that I got from my grandfather. It is very heavy and the rod guides are strange and very small. The first guide closest to the reel looks like a normal guide but the one after that look like bent metal loops. The line is pretty new and I clean it after every outing but have not put any type of dressing on it. I also did a thorough cleaning on the rod and reel before I started fishing. Think its time for a better setup? I wish I could use another rod to see if it is actually me or the rod. This is my the only setup I've been exposed to.
You didn't say whether you can straighten the line. It should fall in wide loose loops with little stiffness. I am confused that you say the line is pretty new and yet it does not act like new line. I would clean the line and get some line dressing and try casting it. If you still have a problem and are sure that it is NOT the line, I would replace the reel and rod.

I would also see if someone with a knowledge of fly fishing could look at your outfit including evaluating the line.

If you want a new outfit I can recommend the rods and reels our TU chapter uses for teaching. They are the Albright Topwater outfits now on sale for $120 including 4 pc rod, rod bag, rod tube, reel, 100 yds. dacron backing, fly line, and leader. Just add the fly. We bought 15 of these in the 9 ft 5/6 wt. I have personally cast these rod, and they are very good for the price.

Topwater Outfits

There are less expensive outfits like the Cabela's Cahill but they have plastic reels and no rod tube.

Cabela's Cahill Fly Rod and Reel Outfit, Fly-Fishing Rod & Reel Combos, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabela's

But read the reviews for these outfits and especially the reel.

Cabela's: Cabela's Cahill Fly Rod and Reel Outfit

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 05-02-2012 at 05:00 PM.