View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default En Fuego on Penn's Creek - pic heavy

I'm just getting around to posting some pics and a trip report on Penn's Creek in PA, on opening weekend from a few weeks back.
Driving into the town of Coburn a friend and I were in shock to see the amount of anglers in the river in the Class B section of the river. We had no idea what we were in for, and seeing the number of cars and people, some of which were sitting in lawn chairs (in the river) fishing, didn't seem all that promising of the making of an epic fishing trip. It was border line insanity and almost comical at the same time.
We stopped in at the Feathered Hook to get some last minute supplies and info on how the river was fishing. The people thinned out below the town of Coburn in the all-tackle trophy water, and we fished for a couple hours with nothing to show for it except a lot of walking between pools and hoards of people. I have heard, and read, that the river can be rewarding but also humbling, and at this point I was fully prepared to be skunked and we were only 3 hours into our 1.5 day fishing trip. So we packed up and moved down river to set up camp at Poe Paddy State Park.
Once we set up camp, we walked down to the river and saw some fish sporadically rising in the first stretch we came to. An older gentleman was sitting in a lawn chair at a trout camp watching us fish and we didn't have any luck. So its gonna be like this, I thought to myself. I wound up the line and went to chit-chat. In conversation with the gentleman, he mentioned that he hadn't seen anyone catch anything in that stretch of the river all day. Well, I knew the river was unforgiving, but we still had plenty of light left so we decided to pack up and walk farther down stream to the next stretch of promising water. It wasn't long before we found some water where we saw fish rising consistently. At this point in the day, about 4pm, bugs were coming off, seemingly getting heavier and heavier with each passing moment. With the first cast and perfect drift at the end of a great run...BAM, FISH ON! This is the point in the report where I will let the pics speak for themselves. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Click the image to open in full size.