Thread: Vests
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Vests

Hi flyfisher45,

I have used Orvis vest for years. Simms is also good. Your budget has a lot to do with your choice.

Here are some of the features I like in a vest.

1. A padded neck.

2. A tab or method to fasten the Vest together when the zipper is unfasten. I use my vest a lot with the zipper down so it is easier to get into the inside pockets.

3. Pockets for retractors. You can see them in the center of the vest just above the zipper. They face down and protect the zingers.

4. Large rear pocket for jacket, lunch or rain coat.

5. D ring on back of neck to hang net from.

6. Zippers on the upper pockets start from the top and zip down. This allows you to remove items with out unzipping the whole pocket.

7. Velcro or magnetic closers on pocket flaps for easy access. One thing about Velcro is they are noisy. I don't think it bothers the fish but it is really loud on a quite stream.

8. Zippers on the big, bottom, front pockets that start from the bottom, center and zip up to the top and across. The Simms Vest in the pictures shows this feature. Look at the bottom, center of the vest and you will see the zipper tags hanging down. I like this arrangement because you can open the zipper to the top and pull the fly box out of the end. Some of the big pockets have the zipper just across the top or they zip the wrong direction. This feature is the most important on the vest to me.

9. Light weight material that breaths. I don't like heavy Cotton.

You may not find a vest with all of these features but they are the ones I like. If you look at the Orvis vest you will see the Tab that holds the two sides of the vest together. It also shows a vest with the zipper on the lower pockets that is just across the top of the pocket. You have to un-zip the whole pocket to get the fly box out. That is if you are using fly boxes that fill the pocket. I like the Simms vest better than the Orvis vest. Orvis has some better vest. I used this one so you could see the difference in the big pocket zippers.

Frank

Simms Guides Choice
Click the image to open in full size.

Orvis Tac-L-Pac
Click the image to open in full size.