View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Four Stages of Angling

mostly 3, sometimes 4, sometimes 2. Depends on how I am fishing and who I am fishing with.

I have a buddy that caught his first fish from a float tube the other day, and then 2 yesterday. He is so stoked he was caught in 1 for a while, but after talking him through a specific spot and technique, he landed 2 in a couple hours, the first one within 5 minute of being there, so with him, and when I am fishing with him, it was 1 and then 2 (from a tube) He caught tons as a gear fisherman, but, decided to fly fish last year, and has been dedicated to it (though I think he snuck back to gear a few times when he was alone just to land something).

When my regular fishing buddy and I fish, it is bragging rights, just between us, sometimes how many and sometimes how big, when I fish myself, it is where is the big guy hiding or if I know where, it is how to get him hooked. so, like I said, it depends.

I think each time it is sequence on any given day.
catching the first one of the day, or at this new lake, or location (finding the fish and what they are eating) or this new technique (spey casting or switch casting), or this new fly I tied, or with a new rod, or with a hand tied leader, etc....

If you have a friend with you, and you are catching and they are not, then it becomes (for me), helping him get hooked up with the fish.

Then if everyone is catching a bunch at that location, or etc and the fishing is good, that day, it becomes catching a big one, or the biggest one, and if all that is going well, then, it is about catching that one that is slurping flies over there, or that big one I saw down by the riffle, etc.

Mostly it is just being able to get out, sppend time with friends, enjoy the day, unwind and catch a few fish, and I try to learn something and improve my fishing skillset everytime I am out. This can be anything from identifying the bug on the water to a new stripping method, or easier way to release the the fish, or better way to find them, being better able to think like them, etc.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.