View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stonefly Nymphs?

Hi Dave, it's that time of the year, eh!

I found a really simply but good fly a couple years ago for using during high water salmonfly time. It looks like a modified Brooks Stone, being fully "in the round" and meant to fish along the banks in fast water where the salmonfly nymphs are, and the fish and without much time to examine flies.

I use a 200R or similar long, curved hook.
Beadhead
Tail: rubber, or sili legs, or floss
Rib: wire
Body: heavy hare-tron dubbing or similar
Thorax: a couple Hen hackles to make a nice thick thorax

You could alter the hackle and use saddle, or palmer a saddle through the hen for more leggy look. The idea is to make the thorax out of the hen hackle so it give the fly dimension and size and also some nice movement. This is not just a collar, it should be a good section of the front 1/3 or so of the hook, less the bead.

Swing that sucker in the undercuts. You could heavily weight it with lead too.

It's such a basic tie that you can alter the color combinations easily and tie a bunch and see what works best: all black, black and orange, brown and olive...

I'm going to send a PM with a link to another site with some good stonefly patterns.