View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Traverse City Small Stream Recommendations

In TC you are within an hour of some of the best fly fishing in the mid west.
The Bestsie is good-tight and winding with some big and deap holes. Wadable and lots of access-probably some decent pressure

Boardman is outstanding and is great for hex hatch

Manistee is a big wide river with lots of wadable spots-sandy bottom in most areas

Jordan. Nice river. Search for access and look for canoe free areas

Au Sable-head waters are outside of Grayling.

Upper Manistee is not far

Little Manistee

Platte-tough and humbling river-gin clear water and ankle-knee deep-great for small bookies and bows.

Flats. Might be a couple weeks late for the wadable waters-just an opinion. I was up there the same weekend on the flats and never saw fish. but enjoyed the CherryFest and Fished the Boardman right Under the Union Street Bridge. People looking over the bridge pointing at fish saying "its right there-its huge," I invited them down to cast to it but they never took me up on it.

Best Bet is to hit the Northern Angler Fly Shop and ask for Brian the owner. He;s a good dude and might give up a spot or 2. More likely to want you to hire him out though. Nice shop and quality flies. The shop is at the west end of Main Street. While you are there try the North Peak Brewery, Blue Tractor and Hole in the Soul, Scotts and the Apache Trout Grill are also good places to eat.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

PS use an 8wt for those big water carp-they don't play around