View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bugs, flies, and other insects

Hi Allen,

Up your way (Fairbanks) I don't have any time on the streams & rivers but........... down here in the MatSu there are a few. Every year I see May Flies & Caddis but the problem is that there are no concentrated hatches that I could count on. We also have an assortment of Stone Fillies on some creeks but again, you can't plan on running into a hatch. With the unpredictable weather here in the valley the bugs are scarce. Every now and then I run into a day when there are so many May Flies or etc. on the water that the fish key in on them. The rest of the time 99.9% I am fishing streamers and wet flies / salmon & steelhead patterns. This is a good time to learn how to fish streamers for you.

Remember, you folks have warmer weather up there and you will have opportunities but I would be thinking streamers. For a survival pack of dries I carry.............

Little Blue Quill #18
Adams #12 - 14 - 16
Royal Wulff #10 & 12
Elk Hair Caddis # 12 - 16
Brown Stone #14 - 16
Heneryville #16

Generally it is Grayling & Char that will be surface feeding down here and not the big ones. When I see feeding going on I tend to switch to a Whitlock Sculpin or Ard's Nine Three and start swinging it into the area from well above the feeding fish and work my way down through the area. if there's a big one hanging in there I sometimes get it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;