View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 4 Must have flys

Though I consider myself a minimalist, I always have at least 100 flies on me. I've just recently retired the fly fishing vest and I still have plenty of room for 200+ flies in the pocket of my waders; 100 if I take one box. I just don't see the need to cut down on flies, they are so light and small! I cut back on everything else. Unless I am wading HUGE stretches of river where I will need food, water and supplies I don't carry anything more than a pockets worth of stuff. I carry two spools of tippet, an extra leader, floatant, Hemistats and nippers all in the front pouch of my waders without ever feeling incumbered in the least. However, to honor the thread I will list my 4 MUST HAVE, though I usually have better (or in most cases just more) options on me.

1. 14 BH Hares Ear or BH Prince (tossup)
2. 6 BH Olive bugger with flash
3. 14 Parachute Adams
4. Beetle

Now... I really just can't pick 4 so here's the next 4 which I rely on often

5. 16 Patriot (brook trout always seem eager to rise for these)
6. 12 Barber Pole Wet Fly (also a brook trout killer)
7. BIG black stonefly nymph with tensil ribbing (10 or 12), the big ugly nymph often works as an attractor when I dont' see anything happening
8. Little Elk Hair Black Caddis; I tie it with red grizzly palmered around the hook...I've found it to work great as a caddis imitation or an attractor