Thread: Aransas Reds
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Aransas Reds

A Buddy and I set out on a brisk winter morning to tame the wily Texas Red Drum. This beast is known for being both wily as a panther, or dumb as a drunk baboon, depending on the day. We took the advice of a local bushman and arrived early on a spot full of large specks. These southern Squeteagues acted just about like supermodels: they made mens mouths hang open, but wouldn't eat the expertly prepared delicacies placed right in front of their face.

We gave up on them shortly and made a run across some glass calm water in hopes of finding hungry fish.
Click the image to open in full size.

Spooking a few as we went

The masterful eyes of the Monkeybrain combined with the casting luck of BigCliff enabled a quick hook up with a healthy specimen

A sharp hook attached us to a worthy adversary, and an array of tactics were brought to bear while subduing the quarry

And the beast was subdued and preserved for posterity

Some locals arrived in a obnoxiously loud craft and then piled out as though they were clowns exiting a Volkswagen. They would wade no more than 50 yards at a time, and then wanted another ride in the fish spooking buggy.

A few more were boated that day

And the Captain of my craft showed me how close he likes to ride to a truly massive ship. A porpoise made the additional splash off the bow.

A few more were boated the next day

A picturesque sunset served as a fitting coda for a fine jaunt o'er the flats

In closing,

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.