View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
I voted "both" because I buy and tie on barbed hooks, but I pinch the barb down with pliers (leaving a little hump of a barb).
This is what I do, Seeing one 15" Brown die in my net that I planned on releasing was enough. He swallowed the fly so deep and it hooked so well I kept trying and trying to get it out but couldnt. I even went so far as to put him back in the net and put him in the water for minutes at a time to try and reduce the being handled and out of the water shock. It has been 4 years since that happened and I still feel awful about it.

Couple that with burying flies in my finger. Last year as I was tying on a Adams I slipped as I Cinched the knot and buried it to the hilt in my finger. Luckily I carry a pocket knife in a sealed bag that I sterilize after any use (as much as possible) . I tried all the tricks of push down as you pull back etc etc and nothing worked. Finally I used the tip of my pocket knife to ever so gently slit my finger. No I am not Rambo I hiked back to the truck with the fly in my finger and put it on ice to numb it first.

So in summary buy barbed flies and pinch em before I tie them up.

OH and PS Sometimes I am an idiot the old bury it to the hilt thing yeah have done that a few times and it sucks every time