View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
I voted "both" because I buy and tie on barbed hooks, but I pinch the barb down with pliers (leaving a little hump of a barb).
This is what I do, Seeing one 15" Brown die in my net that I planned on releasing was enough. He swallowed the fly so deep and it hooked so well I kept trying and trying to get it out but couldnt. I even went so far as to put him back in the net and put him in the water for minutes at a time to try and reduce the being handled and out of the water shock. It has been 4 years since that happened and I still feel awful about it.

Couple that with burying flies in my finger. Last year as I was tying on a Adams I slipped as I Cinched the knot and buried it to the hilt in my finger. Luckily I carry a pocket knife in a sealed bag that I sterilize after any use (as much as possible) . I tried all the tricks of push down as you pull back etc etc and nothing worked. Finally I used the tip of my pocket knife to ever so gently slit my finger. No I am not Rambo I hiked back to the truck with the fly in my finger and put it on ice to numb it first.

So in summary buy barbed flies and pinch em before I tie them up.

OH and PS Sometimes I am an idiot the old bury it to the hilt thing yeah have done that a few times and it sucks every time

"Snap it" Hank Patterson