View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shopping for a first vice

There's no question that the Peak "true rotary" is an outstanding vise, elegant and compact as well. It's also twice the price of the Danvise, which also features "true rotary" capability, ball bearings, adjustable bobbin rest, etc. As such, the Danvise makes a lot of sense as a starter vise (& a lot more), because a beginner would get a high quality vise with advanced features without spending a lot on something he may ultimately not use that much if his fly-tying interest wanes.

Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder, and while the Peak is certainly attractive (& more so after you upgrade the unattractive white plastic thumbscrews with the optional brass ones for $8), I also find the Danvise attractive in its "Star Wars" look (as one reviewer put it).

Frankly, Peregrines earlier discussion of the various first vise options said it all pretty well. I'd only add that optionizing the Peak can also add considerably to its cost as well, i.e. adding a $40 C-Clamp in case you decide to travel with it and the pedestal is a weight factor.