View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
I usually use barbless. Catch rates are very similar as long as the hook set is correct and you CONSTANTLY put tension on the line. Allow it to go slack and the fish will be gone. Then again, like you, if I am fishing stcoker fish to eat I will use barbed.
Quite right. For me the yes or no is really dependent upon the size of the hook. Size 8 and smaller I'll go barbed if reg's permit. Above that I tend to flatten them out as a personal safety matter.

That little lesson was from a Size 4 2X heavy wire hook. Cost $600.00 to get that damned thing extracted at the Emergency Room.