Thread: Lead vs Tin
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I can give you two different positions on that that I can buy into.

1. Of course it is an eco-sin! lead is toxic and kills living creatures and you cannot seriously consider yourself a conservationist if you are intentionally putting lead into nature.

2. The lead accidentally dropped into nature by fly fishermen is surely a fraction of one percent of the total amount of lead that flies out of shotguns nationwide and lands in the wild, so why bother us with the issue?

The result of those two positions is that i do buy and use non-lead shot, but if i had somehow forgotten it and only had some lead shot on me, i would use it. I also find myself biting on shot to fix it on my leader sometimes, and in these cases I am very glad it isn't lead. (history of cancer in the family)

Does it work? sure does! tin isn't as dense as lead, but i think most of the "tin" shot out there has some tungsten or bizmuth mixed in to increase the mass. I'm sure many of you have gone to buy one of those four-size assortments of shot and said "damn! $8?" I did too, but I'm still working on the one that made me say that three years ago.

I'll admit to being a legit tree hugger, but two lead pellets isn't going to make me feel horribly guilty. That happens anytime I get something in styrofoam (worst thing about Burger Street) and when I'm taking out the sixth bag of trash in the same week.

Do me a favor, (to whom it may apply) quit using the styrofoam cups at work and take in one that you can wash and reuse. (sorry, pet peeve at my office) This will make microwaving cold coffee an option again as a bonus!

If you don't wanna hear it, I'll need five responses saying so to never mention an environmental issue again. I don't intend to make a regular practice of environmental rants, i just think we have "bigger fish to fry" on the topic than a few pellets.[/u]

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.