Thread: Best Nymph
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Nymph

I use several patterns based on the tying techniques for Denny's stillwater nymph and have caught a ton of fish on them.

My mallard and peacock - there is an SBS here on how to tie it (add a black bead if you want)
olive maribou, peacock herl body, and a red grizzly hackle - close to Denny's but herl vice simi seal
rust maribou, peacock herl body, and a red grizzly hackle - close to Denny's but herl vice simi seal
tie the same as the mallard and peacock, but use gold antron for the body and add a white bead

Basically, I use the same technique for tying the 4 above but I change out the materials used to match what is hatching.

I also tie up an olive or bright green bodied nymph, gold rib, and a pheasant tail back, thorax is brown dubbing, and the tips from the back become legs tied back at a 45 degree angle.

For standard known nymph patterns, black bugger with crystal flash, shhep creek special, a hares ear, copper john, PTN, martis midge, and occasionally a damsel pattern when the hatch is on.

For dries, adams, BWO, EHC, stimulator

I have a ton of other flies i my box, but, these dozen or so flies usually work. If I am not catching fish on one of these it is most likely my technique, or I am not at the right depth, not usually the fly.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.