View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default What if there's no hatch?

Hey all,

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I'm a noob too, so please be patient if this is a dumb question.

First the story: I went up to the Poudre River in Northern Colorado today and the river was baren of life as far as I could tell. I saw a few hoppers and butterflies but no stones, mayflies, or caddis. I turned over rocks... nothing. More rocks... nothing. Finally I saw a caddis in it's little house of rocks, but that was it. It was a mild day, probably in the high 60's or low 70's.

The water was kinda yellowish from a runoff I guess. And there were a bunch of kayakers and rafters.

So, my question is what do you tie on when there's no hatch? I didn't see a fish in the water, and didn't see any fish rising. I tried eddies, riffles, rapids. I tried dries and nymphs. Caddis nymphs and dries, mayfly nymphs and dries etc... Nothing.

All in all a pretty frustrating day considering it's a 4 hour round trip to get to the Poudre from my house.