View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montana: Billings/Columbus/Missoula

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsedge View Post
I have a friend who recently moved to Billings...a veteran southern bait-fisherman but I'm assisting in his move to the fly fishing world!
Welcome to the forum Woodsedge.
I am planning a trip to visit him this summer or early fall and have a couple of questions. I'd like to fish around the Billings/Columbus area plus fish around the Missoula area, possibly the Blackfoot.

1. Which month/time would be best to shoot for: June, July, August, September?
Each of these months will offer something different on just about every water. I would go with the recommendation of the shops on local waters, and there are alot of waters within 3 hrs of Billings.
One shop I remember from Billings is the 'Rainbow Run' fly shop, mention it to your friend.
Another thing to mention to your friend would be to read the Billings Gazette and watch for outdoor articles from a fella by the name of Bob Krum. He's a local guide on the Bighorn River.
2. What are some fly shops I should place on my list to contact prior to the trip? Google fly shops on the Bighorn River, it's about an hour and a half east of Billings. Also do a google for fly shops on the Missouri River.

Also 'The Yellowstone Angler' which is on the way to Bozeman, infact google Bozeman fly shops.

3. Any other things I should be thinking about? yes, Maybe taking a few extra days off work so you get get a really good taste of what western Montana has to offer. Your not gonna want to leave.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*