View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Gar attack and monster fish

I went out to the dam today with my sister and buddy for a couple of hours. I ended up wet wading and it honestly didn't feel too bad. After a little while, I was casting and ended up fudging my cast and nearly falling down. "Something" ended up ramming me and when I looked down, I seen the tail of a VERY large Longnose Gar. I was about up to my waist and you'd swear I was walking on water back to the shore. Throughout the trip I ended up changing flies a lot because nothing was hitting at all. I ended up tying on a crayfish orange Kat Killer and was swinging it through a deep area when all of a sudden I had a hit so hard that it almost tripped me and darn near ripped the rod from my hands! Before I could even set the hook, it was gone. I'm not sure what it was, but my money is on a monster carp or flathead catfish.

Meanwhile, my friend and sister were bottom fishing a couple hundred yards downriver. While I was fishing, the came back to see me and showed me their reel. It was completely busted. They fought this "River Monster" for a couple of minutes and shredded the little reel. Today must have been a day for big fish, but we didn't land any.