View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: Yellow vs. Orange vs. Mint Green Flylines

Well… that’s a touchy subject that has created huge debates. Almost everyone has an opinion. To be honest with you… I don’t think anyone knows the answer for sure. No one that I know has actually gone out and asked the fish.

You must first ask yourself… Is it the fly line color or the movement of the line that is causing the trouble? Could be either one… could be a combination of both.

Generally speaking… it stands to reason that if the line is in the air and outside the fishes window it shouldn't make any difference what the color is. If it passes over the window then it should be a light color resembling the sky. If a fish is looking up he will see a dark thing against the sky easier than a light colored one. Perhaps that’s why your pale green line works so well for you.

Now if you hold that same fly line up against a background other than the sky like a cliff or some trees the result will be different. A dark line will blend in better, and I can see the possibility of a fly line blending into a background and never even being noticed by a fish. But I still find it difficult to believe that the fish will react to a specific color in most instances. Movement is movement.

The bottom line is… use whatever color fly line that you feel comfortable with… I don’t have a clue. What the heck do I know???