Thread: Cheap Flies???
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap Flies???

If you're looking for bass and panfish flies, I'd think you could find some cheap ones. I bought a popper selection at Dunhams a couple years ago. It was dirt cheap, like 6 poppers for 3 bucks, and looked dirt cheap, but caught a lot of panfish and bass. They didn't care if the fly was a bit shoddy. I also found I cared less about casting the cheap popper tight against the log jam or overhanging branches than I would have if I'd paid up for one. Now I tie them and the cork I use is really cheap so I make them how I want and don't spend much, just add feathers, rubber legs, eyes, and some sharpe for color.

I've bought from Anglers Dream in the past. Didn't have any particular issues, but if I remember right, hackled dries didn't seem to float as long as some I got from local shops. Personally I'm willing to pay for good hackle or good hackled dries since a dry fly turned submarine drives me nuts. For foam and hair flies, nymphs, and streamers, especially for bass and panfish, I'd buy from them again.

One tip, if you're worried about flies coming unraveled, when they arrive just sit down with a tooth pick and some head cement or superglue and put a dot on the head of each fly. It'll take some time but if you aren't spending much on the flies, the time might be worth it.