Thread: Cheap Flies???
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all
Default Re: Cheap Flies???

Quote:
I figure not to tie flies after all
Angelo,

I looked at your other thread when you asked about flytying. It's quite doable--and a lot of fun--, even on a budget with a basic kit.

I am a Benedictine monk, live on a most limited budget, and by nature, I'm cheap. I tie my own flies on a basic kit, using materials mostly scrounged up with a minimum of cash--a yard sale, a flea market, or a thrift store normally yields at least an item or two. Case in point: I went to a flea market the other day, and found a guy with some old furs--a couple of minks, an arctic fox, one that looks to be beaver, and a couple of others and we haggled to $12. I'd have to tie a million flies to use it all.

Part of the fun in fly tying is figuring out creative ways to find materials.

My only serious limitation is in dry fly hooks and hackles and that is easy to overcome. for one, I don't trout fish much, and as a master fly tier once told me "Any fly will float with enough floatant." I've also found that having a specific color hackle on a pattern isn't as crucial as people make it sound. I'm forever substituting one color for another--e.g. a ginger for a brown, etc. because I didn't have the exact one available. The fish generally don't care.

If I really wanted, I could budget the cash for some hackles or even save my change. $50 bucks accumulates in a piggy bank quickly enough. Heck, split one with another fly tier.