View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newby fishing in Colorado

You will be pretty close to the South Platte. The river is a "gold medal" water, which means it basically holds lots of big trout. The browns and 'bows aren't exactly "stupid," but it's a treat to fish. I've only fished the Cheesman Canyon section and the fish are reputed to be even more finicky than other South Platte locales. You can really put your fish-spotting skills to the test in the Canyon. The Canyon is very scenic and there is no road traffic noise in the background (which ruins the fishing experience for me personally). But, the Canyon requires a little effort to fish (short hiking and minimal rock and ledge scrambling). Try the flatter section near Deckers for a little easier fishing......it's all roadside and the fish are a little smaller but they're reported as being more easily fooled.

I would also head up to Spinney Reservoir. Lots of large rainbows up there. A float tube here is a good idea but you can also fish form shore as long as the 'bows are cruising the shores. Try evening fishing here. The bows will chase buggers, wooly worms, and drys.