View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM

aglohm4 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Time Fishing in Years

So I've been pretty dedicated to fly fishing over the years and my girlfriend has been nothing but supportive, albeit from a distance. Lately I've been having her practice casting my 3wt in the backyard in order to involve her in my hobby and help her see why I love what I do. Well this afternoon she surprised me and asked to see the river I've been fishing ever since we moved to NY for her Ph.D program, and I gladly brought her out to one of my favorite spots.

With a little coercion, she donned my waders and explored the stream with me while I wet-waded in fishing shorts and my somewhat waterproof hiking shoes. I brought along the 3wt and some flies (just in case ) and we started walking around, heading for a spot in which I knew there would be fish. She was a natural fly fishing entomologist, spotting mayflies, examining nymphs under rocks, etc.

I had been casting for a while and then all of the sudden it started raining mayfly spinners and she asked if she could pick a fly and I gladly handed over my fly box and she surprised me again and picked out an impressionistic pattern rather than the more realistic extended body spinner I had in the box. I tied it on and after she got her casting stroke down WHAM! in comes a nice rainbow... Now, she's fished before but rarely, and has never before fly fished in her life - she was so excited she dropped rod and started hand-lining the fish in lol. Anyways, we came home tonight having caught 2 rainbows and 2 brookies. It wasn't the banner day I had a week earlier in the rain, or a monster snook back home in Florida, but without a doubt it put all of those days to shame. Seeing her standing there in waders 5 sizes too big and a smile to die for holding that rainbow trout.... Can't get any better than that.

Pictures from the trip:

Click the image to open in full size.

She needed to document the bugs under the rocks:

She was nervous that she might be holding the fish incorrectly in this picture lol:
I assured her nobody on the forum would chew her out Also notice she almost lost my sunglasses during the battle... You can't take eye protection too seriously

Earlier on the stream:

Last edited by aglohm4; 05-21-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Pictures Added