View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streamer question

Axle,

It's good to see you're so into it. You're a tying machine.

Just test one by taking it for a swim on some mono in a sink before you tie up a mess to make sure it rides hook up.

Most of the time you'll need some weight to flip the hook (like the lead eyes on a clouser or crawfish pattern tied on the top of the shank). It's a little trickier to do with just materials.

You can also use different hooks without weight like a 60 degree worm hook used for plastic worms, or on patterns like "Bendbacks" where you bend the shank of the hook near the eye with a pair of pliers. I use both in SW and for fishing FW bass when I want something I can slow strip thru weed beds, but haven't used either of them for trout. Here's a bendback:

How to Tie a Bendback Fly | eHow.com

Jdorsey- From time to time you can still find the old Mustad #79666 Keel Hooks for sale on Ebay etc but theyíre no longer in production. I caught one of my first trout on a one back in the 70's, in WV on a Black Ghost near Seneca Rocks in a deep pool. Still remember it.

The only caveat Iíd offer is that there is a slightly increased risk to the fish in using them with a chance that the hook point can brain the fish or come out through an eye. I brained a small striped bass once on a clouser. Itís only happened once to me but I felt terrible about it. Much more of a freak chance occurrence than something that happens a lot, but Iíll throw it out there, it might be something to consider especially if you fish for small wild stream trout.

What patterns were you planning to tie?

peregrines