Thread: Bluegill Flies
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bluegill Flies

Beside poppers & buggers, I like foam beetles, foam hoppers & crickets, foam ants, some basic, non descript type nymphs, tied mostly in natural colors, like shades of olive, black, tans & some brown. They just have to be buggy.

Plus, small streamers, such as size 6, 8 or 10 Clousers, tied with bead chain eyes, and with soft materials such as ostrich herl strands, fox tail, coyote tail, or any other fine textured hair that 's long enough. I add a few strands of flash too.

Basic white marabou streamers with a little pearlescent flash works well too.

I use a lot of size 6, 4 or even 2 flies for panfish, and even for Bluegills. They're small mostly, but the larger size flies reduces hooking the smallest fish, and helps keep the larger ones from swallowing the hook as much & getting gut hooked.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!