View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 03:54 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default Rod blank kit suggestions

I'm a rookie builder getting ready to start my first rod. I've ordered a hand wrapper and 18 rpm drying motor from mudhole along with other supplies. I've got everything coming but the rod kit. I'm looking for suggestions
First of all this being my first rod I don't want to put much $ into the kit figuring I'll be making rookie mistakes so I want a decent rod but cheap enough that I won't be too upset as the rookie mistakes happen. I'm planning to use the rod for a trout streamer rod, throwing sink tip to full sink lines in a 9' 6wt or 7wt. I want to keep the rod kit under $100 please give me brand and model suggestions as I don't know diddly about rod kits and I'm seeing lots of brand that I have no idea about. Also I had a couple of people suggest going with a fewer piece rod with the idea that the heavier sink lines put stress on the ferruels and the rods tend to come apart during the cast. I had this problem many years ago but it hasn't been a problem in years.