View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Night fly fishing

I'm sure other folks could give you good advice on fishing the White specifically, but just in general as far as fishing at night goes:

1. Be familiar with the area you're going to fish, scouting in daylight first, and if you are wading out on bars, make sure you know landmarks and can find you're way back to the bank.

2. If it's a tailwater make sure you know the generation schedule (or in SW the tides) and wear a watch you can see.

3. I'd also recommend an head lamp (to wear around your neck), so you can have light with arms free. I prefer LED lights which flick from off to Red light first-- they don't destroy your night vision or spook fish as easily as white lights. You can always flick it to the white if you need more light, and for traveling on land back to the car.

4. I would keep rigging fairly simple, and if you're going after big fish, use heavy leaders with big honking streamers.

5. I'd also recommend trying some night fishing locally before your trip. Get used to using moonlight to tie knots, finding stuff in your vest, get a feel for distance based on the feel of the rod load, and just get some shake down cruises under your belt. It's often surprising how much ambient light is around even at night.

It sounds like you'll have a blast. Good luck, looking forward to your trip report.

peregrines