View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Late night largemouth love

Well, my girlfriend is out of town, which makes fishing until 11pm a whole lot easier in general. Today was hot, high 80's, and I didn't even want to fish until
after 7. I went to a local spot that is known for small mouth and walleye; I have been doing well there and caught my first few walleye last week.
Before sunset at the smaller lake I managed a perch, small mouth, and 2 bluegill. The biggest was the perch at about 6". At sunset I moved to the dam on the big lake, hoping for a big walleye for dinner, or at least a few scrappy SMBs to play with. I had a few chartreuse and white jig flies that I wanted to try out. Didn't even get a bite on the dam, stayed until about 10.
The bait casting/watching crowd seemed to be getting the skunk also.
On the walk back to the car I decided to stop by the smaller lake for a few last casts. I tied on a chartreuse/striped/articulated perch imitation, and after about 15 minutes I had this guy on. Unfortunately the photo does no justice to the fish; about 17-18" and super fat. Probably my heaviest bass so far, and perhaps a tie for length.
Click the image to open in full size.
A few casts later in the same region, maybe 12":
And about 10 minutes later a bit further out, another around 12":

By 11pm, the evening was totally salvaged by these great bass... The next couple of weeks with the girlfriend away should yield some great night fishing.
TB