View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Redfish Fly Patterns?

What you have there should work well. "Murky" means different things to different people. If you mean stained, like the brown tannic stain of many backwaters, then those flies will be fine. If you mean muddy stained, then you want flies that push water and are of a profile & color that is easily seen up close.

I would use the basic concept of what you have. Vary the eye weights a bit for different depths & fall rates. Tie some in other colors such as olive, black, hot pink combinations. Tie some with a body of rabbit & what you're using, and perhaps some with a dense "head", perhaps wool or spun deerhair. This will give you some flies that push a lot of water.

Color is usually not as important as presentation in water that has lower visibility, you usually only need to get the fly where the fish can find it. Generally you only need light & dark as far as color. But, color can aid in that regard. Try combinations such a black body, hot pink or chartreuse tail, or the "Electric Chicken" combination of Hot pink & Chartreuse. All black might be useful too.

I use similar flies & colors for LM bass in tidal creeks, which can have off color, tannic stained or muddy water sometimes. The consensus used to be bright colors for such water conditions & this works, but dark colors, particularly black works well too, as it provides a highly visible contrasting profile. The fish don't see it until they're close, but once they are, they see it very well. Black also works well in clearer water too sometimes!

Here's what I mean by using a "head" of deerhair or wool. Not the best picture, but should give you the general idea.
Click the image to open in full size.

You can also add a wing to the flies you have such as this which helps push a bit of water & broaden the profile:
Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 06-29-2014 at 07:59 AM.