View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 09:07 PM

nfsravens is on a distinguished road
Default Re: San Gabriel River West Fork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
Looks like it's going to be raining today, Might want to wait a week and try next week. Went to Deep creek after a rain and it was a swollen muddy river. Not too fun to fish in. Might not be that safe either. Sent you a PM
Sean
Sean, I received your PM last night, thank you and here is the trip.
Rain heavy on the way to San Gabriel River but a little rain along freeway 39, it got less and less when I approach to West Folk. I arrived the closed gate at around 10:45 this morning, very light showery. A lot of water in the river, color is brown, still clear for about 1-2 feet, a lot of leaves and stuff under the water floating, water running very fast. I saw 2 Guys and 1 Kid spinning fishing at the stocking area but report no catch. I passed Bear Greek and get into the "catch & release" area. Tried 3 spots, my fly cannot catch the fish's eye or I didn't cast to the correct place. I have 0 catch today. When I walk back around 2:30PM, the rain has completely stopped and Sun has comes out. I saw two guys at stock area caught two fishes at the same time while one of them said "no, we got nothing.", The Trout is about 8 inches and the other unknown to me is about 5 inches. They return them back to the river immediately, Interesting. Then I chat a little bit with a Pro, wader with fly fishing setup walking from the closed gate to the stocking area.
When I almost arrived the Closed Gate, a Ranger caught me from behind asked me where I was fishing and show me something regarding about new regulation of the river. He mentioned there will be no fish stocking to the stream anymore, the nearest stocking area will be the lake in San Dimas, Bob did mentioned the Lake name but I did not remember, I have no interesting to Lake. I told him then, the whole river should be “Catch & release” to protect the environment or very soon, there will be no fish at all.
San Gabriel River West Fork is a very good place to enjoy a relax weekend. If I know there are camp ground 6 mile from Bear Greek, I should stay a night over there later.
Meet you guy there!
(I'll upload some pictures took from my cheap cell phone when it is ready, tonight, I hope)