View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Redfish Fly Patterns?

You're typically going to find redfish doing one of two things- cruising or tailing/grubbing. I typically start out with a fly best suited to cruising fish, and have plenty of tailing fish flies on hand if I find them that way.

A "cruising redfish fly" should be very bright and flashy so as to draw their attention as they're moving along. Weight helps as it will get it down to where their mouth is, and should help it cast in the wind, but you don't need alot of weight. I'm generally throwing bendbacks or seaducer type flies at cruisers-

Click the image to open in full size.

For tailing fish, you want something that's got enough weight to get down quick, and some rubber legs to wiggle about when they're up close looking at it-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.