View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Hitching Hope to a New Star......

Although there are some salmon flies that seem to always produce I usually try a 'new hand' at the game each season. Salmon, unlike a resident trout are different every year. Not a different species but new fish; you never see the same salmon this year as you caught last year and so it pays to have something different to show the fish. I'll begin hunting for Kings this coming week and have added 4 of the fly pattern below to my King box.

Max Canyon;

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: Standard Salmon size 2/0 - 4
Tail: 2 generous bunches of hackle tips, orange on bottom white on top
Body: Rear 2/3 deep orange wool – front 1/3 black Mohair yarn
Rib: Medium gold oval tinsel
Hackle: Black Schlappen
Wing: Orange buck tail with some sparse Polar Bear or substitute over top, top it off with white buck tail
Head: Black

These are pretty simple to make and maybe I'll dye everything the same shade of orange if the fly produces. I saw a picture of this Pacific North West steelhead pattern and thought immediately of the kings. It has all the right stuff; high vis colors, and the all powerful white wing crest. The fly is tied on a Gamakatsu 2/0 standard salmon hook and I'll add the recipe and the pictures to the flies for AK. salmon thread so if you're dying to make some the recipe will be here on the forum.

I'm thinking I'll tie this very fly to my leader when I find that first king and swing it past to see if I've hitched my hope to the right star

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-29-2013 at 02:57 PM.