View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly Shops and YOU!

These are tough times to start anew and you would be brave to do so. My early experiences in flyshops in Denver were very discouraging. Lots of snobbery and poor service/selection. I actually got more info and help from a major sporting goods shop(Garts). I dropped the flyfishing idea in '77. When I got back into it in '93, I found another shop I'd never been to on the west end of Denver that spoke to me like family. No hype, pretense, just flyfishing basic, advanced to expert. No pressure to buy that $500 flyrod to be legit, just options a-z. It opened my eyes and I got back into it. Nowadays when I stroll into a shop I know what I want and alternatives to that. I don't have time or patience for poor/bad/obtuse salespeople and walk out, but I try to spend money when I get good friendly advice with no pressure. I can't spend $400 all the time but books, dvds, flies, lines, leaders or clothing are good ways to say thanks. I know I can always tie flies cheaper or find those products online for less but I don't mind paying a few dollars more when I see a salesperson go out of his/her way to explain or describe something I'm interested in. Good Luck.