View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:43 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Shops and YOU!

Ill give you an example of the fly shop I drive by on my way to one 20 miles further away.

Closer shop never asks if they can order you something if they dont have it. Flies are literally $2.50-$3.00 a pop, nothing cheaper even for a size 22 RS2. They will literally stand there and talk to someone for 20 minutes vs saying hey can I ring you up real quick...gheez sorry I am only buying tippet today. One time I started talking fly rods with the owner and he says what do you have. At that timeI didnt have the $ to buy Sage and Winston hi end rods. I told him a few Legend Ultra's, St Croix Avid.....he says oh boy you have to many midrange rods "you need a Sage TXL". Never asked what I fished, where I fished anything, didnt ask to watch me cast , nothing.. Fast forward and I do own two TXL's now but I didnt buy em from him. Last time I called the shop I said do you have a Lamson Guru in stockand his answer was "why would you want that".....whatever

SO a year later my wife says I am gonna buy you a rod for your birthday sky is the limit. So I research and came to the conclusion I want a 4wt Z-axis. I drive by the first shop to go see the second. I tell the guy I am here for a rod. His response was oh where do you intend on using it, what flies do you throw there. How often do you go there etc etc.He was going to spool up as many rods as I wanted but I said I wanted to try the Z-axis first since it sounded perfect. Only then did he say that was one he was going to suggest that rod if my budget allowed.

They have a huge selection of flies and have good saleson the flies occasionally, they give great advice and actually one time I just in passing asked a guy about a reel and low and behold he called me two weeks later to say they had one in.

Great guys , great service (Front Range Anglers in Boulder)