View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 AM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How does an Overhead Two Handed cast differ from a Spey or Switch cast?

[QUOTE=floorabove;363937]No I only have 1 handed rods. I fish salt, frum surf to back bays in the NE for stripers blues etc. I have been thinking of getting a 2 handed rod for the beach. Judging from the above descriptions I do not think Spey style rods/casts would work as the beach in the front doesn't lat down enough to generate enough line tension. My thinking was if I could use two hands I could generate more power on windy and/or high surf days to get my line out over the waves, so I began looking into two handed rods and the TFO BVK and TICRX both have an option where you can add an extension to a regular i handed rod , but upon doing research posts I have read describe one as " not a spey or switch rod, merely an "overhead casting rod" and the other , the BVK as a "Czech nymphing rod")

TFO has a switch conversion for the 8wt trx surf rods ( the blue ones ) It turns a 9' into a 11'4". It throughs about a 425 grain head. it's $150.00. It does get u a little more distance. it's a bigger lever. u gotta slow down a bit on ur cast and open ur loop more. So, it looses it's advantage in the wind. Our surf on the west is a bit bigger then yours from what I understand. I say that because its hard to use a stripping basket. For me anyhow.