View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly Shops and YOU!

I have a good Bass Pro Shop story - last July my family took a trip to visit my sister-in-law in Michigan for a week - knowing that Michigan is a fly fishing destination, my son and I bring all our gear - unfortunately, we were staying in lower southwest Michigan,( during a heat wave) and discovered that the famous rivers for trout and steelhead were 5+ hour drives north of us, not practical for our schedule - looking at reports online yielded little info - we stopped in a Bass Pro Shop just south of the border in Indiana just to check it out - never been in one before - the old fella tending the fly fishing dept. started talking to us and I told him we were hoping to get into steelhead without driving too far - he told us about a few spots he knew, turned us on to these heavy crawdad flies they sold ($5.99 each!) "yeah they're expensive, but they work" and called over another employee who offered a couple more spots on local rivers, he even told us that we could say we were guests of his local fishing club to access certain places! - Hey, we're just a couple of guys from New York looking for a day of fly fishing on the blind, and they're offering up their honey-holes! Then they call over another younger fella who also works as a local guide and he tells us to try a place only 15 mins away from where we're staying - Sure enough, we go to this narrow creek running alongside and under 2 interstate highways and we are into fish! My son landed a nice steelie on one of those $6 crawdad flies underneath the I94 overpass!! Here's to the staff of that Bass Pro Shop for making our day!
Click the image to open in full size.