View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple Beginner tying questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMNflythrower View Post
I've got a couple questions about my decision to tie my own flies rather than rely on others. For tools, what would you recommend that I need to start with (brands, and essentials)?
Here is a link to a thread in the FAQ section. Read it.

Hopefully you have a well stocked shop with fly tying gear and someone who knows what he is talking about. Don't be afraid to ask what that person uses.

Quote:
Also, the majority of fishing I will be doing will be smaller streams for brookies, rainbows, and browns, so what would you recommend for patterns to start with?
First tie a San Juan Worm. You will learn thread control.

Next tie a Woolly Bugger. That will give you the foundation for a lot of flies.

Quote:
Are there any materials that are used a lot more than others?
Yes. I use thread and hooks more than any other material.

Seriously, you will figure this out as you tie more and more. It depends on what you will be tying.

Dennis