Thread: New guy
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 AM

rickyortiz will become famous soon enoughrickyortiz will become famous soon enough
Default New guy

Hello I am a complete beginner to fly fishing. I just recently bought my first fly fishing set up and have tied a few flys that I must say are pretty hideous lol. I live in stockton so I have some pretty decent areas to fish that are not so far away. My buddy David Williams and his son actually got me into this new sport, we just got back from a 2 day trip to Kennedy Meadows up in the sierras. We had a blast and I actually caught a half dozen fish a few on some of the ugly flys I tied myself. So, needless to say it will be a awhile until I pick up a spinning rod again I still have alot to learn especially entomology aspect of the sport.
I hit the Mokolumne river yesterday with my brother right by the fish hatchery, water was pretty decent seen quite a few fish threw everything I had at them and nothing seemed to get their attention. My brother on the other hand less than 10 minutes had a 12" trout then right before we left he hooked up on a 19" steel head, both caught on a good ol fashion live worm. So any pointers or fly suggestions especially for the mokolumne river I am all ears I have a feeling that will be my home away from home since its so close to me.