Thread: colorado trip
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 PM

joerouse is on a distinguished road
Default Re: colorado trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
If you are going to fish near Colo Springs I would hit Elevenmile Canyon. Just head west on Hwy 24 to St George and hang a left at Starky's. Go all the way to the Spillway Campground, park and fish there and back down the canyon. It's picturesque, designated catch and release, and holds some big fish. South Platte though so they will not be jumping in the net. My only bit of novice advice is avoid the weekends. Mon-Thurs would be the ideal schedule and avoid July 4th. CO has more fly fishers per capita than any other state.
Had some of the best days of the year at Elevenmile. If there, as mentioned, you've got to put at least some time in the water just below the dam. There are some Bows of a lifetime in that part of the river. Do take time to fish some other parts of the canyon though. There are plenty of fish down-canyon, but it's the views that will really knock you out.

I've been fortunate enough to have seen some beautiful landscapes over the years. Elevenmile Canyon, right here in my own backyard, still stands out as one of this planets truly magnificent places.

I refuse to fish within sight of an outlet mall, no matter how big the fish are. Well, except...