Thread: Shaky knees...
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Shaky knees...

Went to a local warmwater creek Saturday morning hoping to catch a gar on the fly. Last weekend a guy caught several and landed two. As usual, when I go, all I hear is "you should have been here last weekend." However, the catching wasn't bad. It started slow, and we had a cold front a couple of nights in a row. However, I remember hearing when fishing is slow, try to use a smaller bait. It made all the difference.
Click the image to open in full size.

I hooked a solid 2lb bass that squirmed of as I was trying to get my camera out. By far the most bass I have ever caught here.

This is what I call my aquarium hole. I have caught or seen about 10 different species in this pool each time I go.

The problem is it is very clear and usually the fish can see you before you get a good shot at them. There is usually a 3lb bass that cruises here. You may be able to see it in this pic: (upper middle)

Another view showing numerous fish: (look just right of middle)

Some water got on the lens in these...

Well after that eventful morning I went home to eat some lunch and rest before I headed to hang out with the girlfriend. I received a text from her saying she might work late, so I figured I would check up on the smallmouth while I wait.

I decided to pack some heat this time for snakes and because the last time I heard lots of coyotes. I admit it's not the ideal snake gun, but better than nothing.

I had plans to fish upstream since I had never waded that section, but as soon as I entered the creek there were some spin fisherman working down. So I headed downstream. They caught up quick and just sloshed right through the water I was fishing as well as further downstream. :evil:

I bit my tongue and headed back upstream, after all that's what I wanted to fish. I worked back up to my original intended start.

Didn't take long to get a strike, but not what I wanted...

I kept working upstream and hitting every bit of water I could while trying to be stealthy. Finally, I hooked a fish that had that familiar pull, you know, the one that feels like a small bag of bricks running upstream with your line. He was just a little guy, but he didn't fight like he was.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur