View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Casting mechanics standing vs. seated?

A few friends and I recently had a conversation concerning casting distance, accuracy, etc. after a day on the water. It came to our attention that we all had a set of casting mechanics we used while standing, say while fishing a stream, and another set of mechanics while sitting in our tubes.

For instance, I noticed that a friend of mine uses a straight arm technique while casting from his tube, but a very standard set of mechanics while standing on the bank. Another friend seems to use his body more while standing, swaying slightly back and forth while casting. However, when casting from his tube, his body remains quite still.

For myself, my casting mechanics while standing on a bank are pretty standard; left foot forward, right elbow close to my body, right hand doesn't get much higher than my chin, or further back than slightly behind my shoulder. When hauling, the stroke seems to be fairly vertical and stops right around my waist. I try to keep the acceleration smooth.

When casting from my tube, things change a bit. My tempo is a bit quicker, my back cast tends to be on the 45, the front pretty much straight over the top. My accelerations to stop are more aggressive. My right elbow wanders away from my body about a foot and my hand drifts up around the top of my head. I stop slightly earlier on my backcast, throwing the line slightly at an upward angle behind me.

Other modifications include kicking hard on my last backcast so that I rise up a few inches, then doing a kind of ab crunch on the forward stroke (only when hauling). Also my double haul requires an adjustment, both in angle and length. I haul at about a 45 from the rod and it's shorter and quicker in acceleration than while standing, but I seem to wait a fraction of a second longer before starting the haul than while standing.

One thing I have noticed is that recently my distance and accuracy from the tube has improved to a degree that is close to what I can do from a standing position. My subjective guess is that I'm currently able to throw about 10 to 15 feet less on average from my tube than standing. For accuracy, while standing I generally can hit targets a bit bigger than basketballs from about 40 feet, while from a tube I'd have to say that the targets are about 4 ft across. But these are definite improvements over the last couple years.

So it got me to wondering if anyone else out there noticed any modifications they had made to their casting dependent on whether they were standing or sitting in a tube/pontoon/kayak whatever. Or if they consciously made modifications to try to improve either accuracy or distance while in the seated position.

I'm very curious about anything people may have tried to improve accuracy while bobbing around in a tube, as there are many days when that is my biggest obstacle to catching fish. For example, one thing I've been trying lately is casting at about a 45 degree angle to the bank, instead of perpendicular to it, which I feel helps me judge the length of line I have aerialized a bit better. I also think it gives me a bit more room for error.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the input.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark