View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting mechanics standing vs. seated?

When my wife broke her ankle last year, she was stuck in a wheelchair for 7 weeks. That didn't mean we didn't go fishing, and I pushed her along a local stream path quite often during that time. My wife tends to turn her body too much while standing, and drops the rod WAY too far on the back cast. Being in a wheelchair restricted her body motions, and her bad casting habits disappeared very quickly! She even kept her elbow bent, and not straight out and up Nazi style. Her surgery and physical therapy were an absolute success, and she's back to the old bad habits, even when we fish from our canoe.

As for myself, I'm usually playing guide when we're in our canoe, so I wouldn't know about differences. I'm certainly not casting 75 feet of line from the canoe, but that's probably because I can get quite close to the target. While standing, I do cast rather far. Yvonne's broken ankle has allowed me to see that there is much wisdom in casting further, rather than wading further.