View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knotted Leader - Knotless Leader

Tom,

Nah, rules are made to be broken. And it depends on what you’re using and what you’re fishing for. Fishing some stuff like streamers with a sink tips for example I might just use a straight shot of mono about four feet long. And throwing wind resistant stuff like poppers for bass, I might use an 8’ heavy leader. For fishing smaller dries though for trout, that sounds about right.

I just use 9’ rods with knotless and add about 2 feet of tippet-
Usually two types for trout a 9’ tapered to 4x that I can add 4. 5,or 6x to or 7 or 8X with a short section of 6x in between for really small stuff- it works out to about 11-12’ overall, The other one is a shorter one for fishing heavier stuff and larger flies like streamers, knotless 7 ½’ tapered to 1x that I can use 1, 2 or 3X on, or add some 3x and sections of 5x etc to build up to a longer dry fly leader if I’m lazy and don’t want to switch. For streamers with the 7 ½ plus tippet it usually works out to somewhere around 8 ½- 9 feet overall. I use this for bass too.

In SW it’s even simpler, just a 4,3,2 3 part home tied leader for 8-10 weights of 4’ of 35-40lb mono to 3’ of 25-30lb to 2’ of 16-20lb for an overall length of 9’. (with 9’ rods).

As far as the fishing goes, I haven’t been out recently, but had an OK fall with some stripers in SW, but I missed out on some of the blitz like conditions some ran into. Nothing of any size though. And things won't heat up until April, at least around here.

Sounds like you had some good fun up here, and you’ll have a lot of stuff to chase now that you’re back in TN. How’s the tying going? As I remember you were starting to get into that.

Regards,

Mark