Thread: glass & 'gills
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default glass & 'gills

Took the Lamiglas rod to a farm pond for further experimenting this evening. The rod is custom made using a Lamiglas blank and marked 3wt, but a 3wt line feels like it really overloads the rod. I have a DT2F line on it now and it still feels overlined, so I did a "common cents" measurement on it and came up with a 1 weight from the results.
I have a WF1F line ordered for it but it hasn't arrived yet, so I took it with the 2wt line to try it on bluegills.
First one that hit (using a #16 nymph) was 9", and it bent the rod to the cork!

Click the image to open in full size.

Next one I thought I had a bass at first, but it was just another 'gill about the same length, but thick & full of fight.

The action was a bit slow after that, but I did manage to catch a few smaller ones before it got dark.

I will admit the deerflies had me in the mood to retreat by then anyway. As I was assembling the rod I was feeling a burning sensation on my right bicep. I finally got the line strung and glanced at my arm to see a big deerfly setting there. It flew as I tried to swat it, but there was actually a trickle of blood flowing down my arm where it bit me.