View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Do you Fly Fish with your Kids / Grand-kids

Fly Fishing with Kids….
I was reading through some old post about fly fishing with kids…. Many of these post sounded negative. Meaning it was more work than reward. I wonder how many fly fishers in the forum actually bring their kids or grandkids fly fishing?
Out here in Boise, they just recently stocked a pond with some rainbows. I thought it would be a good time for my son (just turned six) to actually cast in water to fish rather than practicing on the lawn.
We did not have much top water action, but after we switched his fly out to a small leach, game on. He caught hooked 9 fish, landed 6 with one true hog. Thank you Idaho Fish and Game……
I will admit that teaching a six year old how to get a fish on the reel is difficult (you have to be able to deal with lots of lost fish), but once you do, the rewards are amazing.
My best all time memory fly fishing was last year when my son cast, set the hook (dry fly action), got the fish on the reel and netted it all by himself. Thinking of it still makes me smile.
We actually have a few back packing trips (frank church wilderness) planned for this coming season. We will hike as far as he can, and set up camp. I am so glad to have a new fishing buddy. This will not replace my frequent trips with friends, but it makes for a great addition to a pastime that I am already passionate about.
Do you fly fish with your kids…..?

Click the image to open in full size.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com