Thread: Tying Buggers
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying Buggers

The color I have had the most success with is black and olive. Black tail, olive chenille body, with black hackle and black hackle at the collar. For the most part, I like weight on my buggers. I'll use either a cone or bed along with a few wraps of non lead wire for a little extra weight or a tungsten bead with no wraps. I usually don't bother with legs but I have used Estaz for a body in place of chenille. Depending on the marabou, I'll sometimes add some black bear hair in the tail to keep it propped up a little better.

I've tied leeches that are pretty close to buggers with marabou stripped from the feather to build the body and tease it out. Simple pattern: Hook, thread, non lead wire, bead, marabou, thread. Leeches can be close to buggers depending on how they are tied, but I'm not going to detail those beyond what I've mentioned since they would technically be a leach and not a bugger.