View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's needed to start fly tying?

As you have mentioned it's a good idea to start Tying The Flies you mostly use then progress however you have to have some Wooly Buggers,they are quite easy to Tie as well as they are good Fish Catchers.
The main Basic items are,of course a Vyce,Threads,Hooks,Scissors & Hackle Pliers,you can use a Needle in a Cork for a Dubbing Needle,some Head Cement,Nail Polish is OK & Cheap,also some Feathers,Dubbing,I find Mohair or Synthetic Yarns Beaut.
I've mentioned before it's surprising what you can buy in The $2,Craft Shops etc,especially around Xmas time,lots of Tyers source materials from FRESH Road Kills.
You will find it won't take long to build up a collection of Materials,I've been Collecting/Buying materials for many,many years,a couple of years ago I had a huge Cull of unwanted gear,even though I'm down to The Stuff I now use,looking around I still have heaps.
There are quite a few places whose materials are quite reasonable priced I've found over The Years & believe me I've sourced them from all around The World,if you ever need help where to buy stuff shoot me a PM as most are in The US.

Brian.