View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How to Maintain your Fly Rod

Hi Paul,

I am in full agreement with Mojo. Whether I have a new rod on the river or one I've been fishing for half my life I make sure to get plenty of mucus / slime, from the first and every fish of the day on the rod grip. As for the rest of the article it seems a little over the top unless you only fish once or twice a year. I've not ever used furniture polish on my rods but do make sure to clean the female ferrules regularly..........

Here's my tips for rod longevity:

Do not make a practice of submerging your rod and reel when taking fish pictures. I have only ever dropped a rod / reel in the water once that I can recall and I have never had drag failures or grout in my reel seat hardware that I can recall.

Unless you are kneeling beside your rod and are completely alone at a river or creek Never Lay a Rod on The Ground, I know of no better way to have one stepped on than this. The practice of laying a rod and reel in the sand, cobble or other stream side rubble will only contribute to what I alluded to earlier; sand & grout in your drags and hardware. Todays reels are also quite expensive whether you fish vintage tackle or a spanking new Ross the less you lay that reel on the rocks the fewer scratches, dings, and most importantly rim chips on the bottom edges of the reels you'll have. Nothing will detract from the resale value of a reel more than chips and other marring.

The tip about using the hard tube is golden rule #1!

As for wiping down after every use........... If you are fishing a vintage un-impregnated varnished bamboo this is of the utmost value but I seldom worry over graphite shafts. If they go in the bag & tube with moisture I remember to open the tube cap when they go back to their spot in the corner of my office. The open cap will allow for the moisture to escape and you will avoid any mildew problems by doing this.

That's all I have and I'll say it again; don't lay those rods on the ground! Find something to prop them on where they won't be laid down by a breeze and get stepped on. And remember, fish slime is a good thing so don't be so fastidious about rinsing your hand every time you touch one. If I had washed off my hands after every fish I would still be somewhere in Pennsylvania trying to get the slime off of me

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;