View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lightning bug pattern?

Hookem,

There’s a nymph pattern called a Lightning Bug, similar to a Pheasant Tail Nymph, which is different from what you’re looking for.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...bugs-6824.html

But as far as glow in the dark material, there is a ton of it- yarn, flashabou and various powders that you can add to epoxy or varnishes.

I've never used it, but some things you might consider using if you want to try tying some or can persuade a buddy to knock a few off for you:

Flo Neon Flash- you can use a few strands and twist it to wrap around the shank of the hook for a body, and/or leave a loop of it for a tail (to find it on this link you’ll have to scroll down to section on flash near the bottom:
New Stuff Materials

Maybe better for you though is something like this glow yarn. You can create a loop of it for the tail and build a body, then add a foam top, like a foam beetle to get it to float:
https://www.woolstock.com/index.php?...products_id=56

If you don't tie and can't put the arm on someone, another way to go might be to get a few small poppers or something and get some glow in the dark acrylic paint from a hobby store and just paint up a few.

If you end up finding out that this is a new secret weapon, you may want to invest in a UV LED flashight, like a Photon UV LED keychain type deal to recharge them (it’ll work faster than a regular flash light) under 20 bucks, and there are more expensive ones if you really start bailing fish.
Photon I Micro-Light® - Ultra Violet LED UV AUV

Good luck, be sure to post pics----I guess you won't need a flash.

Mark